Subject: Re: "Eugene Onegin" question
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 15 Jan 2018 19:36:02 -0500

So Onegin is an "anti hero"; like a host of others in opera; enough with
the psychoanalysis!  Tschaikowsky thought Pushkin's plot would make
a good opera, and he was right.  "Syrupy music"  -  but beautiful as
Massenet?
I don't think so; I would not trade the complete works of Massenet for one
of
Tshaikowsky's best tunes, of which there are far too many to begin to
mention,
in, as well as out, of  his operas.

dtmk