Subject: Re: Domingo to sing Gianni Schicchi
From: Paul Ricchi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 17 Jan 2018 02:18:26 +0000

OK, here is what we do: the Pontiff of Opera-l will be elected by the
sacred College of Swallows (Cardinal is already taken). The Pontiff will
issue a decree stipulating the mandatory retirement age for singers, and
all producers of opera will be expected to comply, failure will subject
them to various hissy fits for a period not to exceed six months.

But, alas! It is too late for Placido  to be the second to die on the stage
of the Met:

Death Also Came to the Opera in 1897Published: March 3, 1988

   - FACEBOOK
   - TWITTER
   - GOOGLE+
   - EMAIL
   - SHARE
   - PRINT
   <http://www.nytimes.com/1988/03/03/opinion/l-death-also-came-to-the-opera-in-1897-296288.html?pagewanted=print>
   - REPRINTS
   -

To the Editor:

This is a postscript to Franz Winkler's letter, ''Another Performance
Halted at the Met'' (Feb. 2). Mr. Winkler tells of the death of Leonard
Warren on the stage of the Metropolitan Opera in 1960. There was an even
earlier death on the Met stage, Feb. 10, 1897. Armand Castelmary, who was
singing the role of Sir Tristram Mikleford in Friedrich von Flotow's
''Martha,'' collapsed toward the end of the second act. The audience,
believing this a masterly characterization, applauded heartily.

Quaintance Eaton, in ''The Miracle of the Met,'' tells us that Jean de
Rezke, who had been watching from the wings, burst into tears and helped
carry the singer to his dressing room where he was pronounced dead.

A substitute went on to finish the opera, and the audience learned of
Castlemary's death only on leaving the theater. WILLIAM SHANK New York,
Feb. 2, 1988