Subject: Re: "Eugene Onegin" question
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 16 Jan 2018 20:20:23 -0500

The time comes, after decades of enjoying music, when one is allowed to sit
back and
draw conclusions. I've heard my share of Massenet operas, and was often
impressed
by a scene here, an aria there:  Beverley Sills seductive Manon "live';
Gigli's melting
Werther, and the sweeping duet from THAIS, with Kirsten and Merrill on
disc; Joan
Sutherland resuscitating a forgotten, unrevivable ESCLARMONDE; but it adds
up to
very little compared with the melodic wealth that poured from Tshaikowsky's
pen, no
matter what form he was drawn to. This can't be dismissed as an example of
musical
sweet tooth;  those tunes are meaningful..  Tschaikowsky painted, Massenet
did
coloring books.

There was once a fully staged performance of MAID OF ORLEANS at the Met in
Lincoln
Center, from a visiting company; it was enthralling.

But the truth is this; few operatic or concert experiences have ever given
me the deep,
satisfaction of a performance - at home or abroad - of the "Pathetique"
Symphony.
No theatrics, no stage needed, just the purity of music that goes as far as
music can
go.

dtmk