Subject: Re: "Eugene Onegin" question
From: Nina Gettler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 17 Jan 2018 00:11:22 +0100

Yes, Onegin is indeed bored, but he cultivates this ennui, just as he
cultivates his persona as a Byronic hero. In the verse novel, we learn
that after Onegin leaves his estate after the duel, Tatiana goes to his
house. She finds the prominently placed bust of Lord Byron and looks
through his books. And she wonders if he is even a real person or merely
an imitation of the characters of the books he has read.

Onegin's beautiful, passionate music in the last act makes it easy to
believe that he has changed, that he has opened himself to love. But in
the verse novel, Pushkin's narrator gives us enough information about
him to make it quite clear that he is as selfish as he was and wants
Tatiana because she is no longer the girl who loved him, but the
indifferent princess (in the verse novel, he pursues her with letters
that she does not respond to).

Nina Gettler
Graz, Austria