Subject: Re: "Eugene Onegin" question
From: k youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 15 Jan 2018 16:19:54 -0600

Yes! Well stated, 100% agreement.

Onegin, not a cruel man, must be very difficult to portray from a dramatic point of view. How many operatic characters are either merely good or bad? But then how many are simply unlikeable (or, I guess, likable) for the reasons we don’t care for Onegin? We don’t like Onegin; we don’t sympathize with him; we agree that he ill-treats Tatiana. But we realize that he’s a troubled man.

“Syrupy” music? Perhaps. But, like much of Massenet, beautiful as well. No argument against “syrupy” from me.

On the Onegin subject, I well remember that on the Opera News on the Air intermission feature for the 1957 broadcast, one (or more) guest opined that this opera’s music is not typical Tchaikowsky. On hearing of, for example, Tatiana’s aria dispels that notion - at least for me.

Kurt Youngmann

> On Jan 15, 2018, at 10:21 AM, G. Paul Padillo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> The title character is a difficult one to pull off:
> unlikeable, self-centered, yet when portrayed correctly, we discover
> someone not so much cruel as he is merely bored, suffering, as it were,
> from an ennui bordering on depression.  When finally awakened – or
> or “cured,” if you will – it is too late, and therein lies the “tragedy.”

If more politicians in this country were thinking about the next generation instead of the next election, it might be better for the United States and the world. - Claude Pepper, senator and representative (8 Sep 1900-1989)