Subject: When to Say Good Bye? (Was re: Domingo/Schicchi)
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 16 Jan 2018 16:00:04 -0500

Mr. Ponti wrote (in part):

"Opera singers, like politicians, should be forced to retire, after turning seve
seventy."

* * * * *

I’m not at all any kind of fan regarding Domingo in his “baritone phase” – though I do chuckle that now that he
though I do chuckle that now that he’s singing baritone roles, he’s accused
of sounding like a tenor, but throughout his tenor career, he was frequently
accused being a baritone singing tenor roles.  No pleasing some people!
That being said, I personally wish he’d retire, but he and his fans aren’t
going to listen to me, nor should they.  I’ll simply continue not purchasing ti
tickets to his performances.

The idea of “forced retirement” makes me cringe with more than a little
uneasiness.  It smacks a little of totalitarianism, and if a singer still has the
goods, why should they “have to?”

Mariella Devia, just shy of 70, is still bringing down the house (in the good se
sense of that phrase) in her great Donizetti roles.  Why should she stop?

Olivero didn’t make her Met debut until she was 65, to and continued
singing opera elsewhere for another 5-6 years.

Scotto DID retire from the stage by 70, but right up until then she was still
viable and selling tickets in major roles, including Klytemnestra, Kundry
and the Marschallin.

Though Alain Vanzo had retired from the operatic stage, he continued
giving performances almost right until his death.  If you can get your hands
on a live performance from one of his last appearances – in his 70’s, of
Romeo’s Ah! lęve-toi soleil!” you will hear the style, phrasing and tone that woul
would be the envy of a tenor half his age.

The decision to retire is a personal one, and the only influence any of us ha
have on a singer's doing so, comes from the box office, and that's it!

p.