Subject: Re: Domingo to sing Gianni Schicchi
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 16 Jan 2018 15:51:56 -0500

Tom Ponti wrote:

"Domingo is a greedy egomaniac who seems to believe that the longer he performs he will
attain the status of Corelli, Bjorling or Pavarotti who, in the roles they shared, were superior
and more popular than he was in his prime. Opera singers, like politicians, should be forced to
retire, after turning seventy."

I don't possess Mr. Ponti's ability to divine the innermost thoughts and motives of people he
doesn't know.  However, he might want to consider the possibility that another reason for
Domingo continuing to perform is that he loves music and singing and wants to continue
doing what he loves as long as he can.  In that, he is no different from many other singers
(other than his remarkable longevity).

I must also register disagreement with Mr. Ponti's view that people be forced by law to retire
from their chosen profession at an arbitrarily-chosen age, which is a form of heavy-handed
government authoritarianism I would have thought he decried.  Let's hope he was just
speaking in the heat of passion and that sweet reason will prevail upon cooler reflection.

MDW