Subject: Re: Domingo to sing Gianni Schicchi
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 16 Jan 2018 19:47:29 +0000

Max

I agree with everything you say, including the remarkable
shape of his voice. And, no one can make a convincing
argument against the power of the box office, aka market
forces. But there have been a number of periods when a
singer whom I intensely disliked (Cornell MacNeil after 1967
for example) ruined so many otherwise fine performances
that I stopped buying tickets when I saw his name. That was
my choice, but it did, and still does, give me pause when I
remember how much otherwise good stuff I missed.

Artistic integrity has a place in these determinations, but who
is to define those terms. My view of MacNeil was certainly far
from Universal. In fact, I was probably in a minority.

It's not so simple, eh!

Bob