Subject: Re: Domingo to sing Gianni Schicchi
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 16 Jan 2018 14:29:17 -0500

Donald Levine wrote:

"My biggest quibble with Domingo continuing on and on is that there are many
talented younger baritones out there who should be singing these roles in
major theaters."

I have never cared for Domingo as a baritone.  But I disagree that any singer has some kind
of moral obligation to retire to give younger singers a chance.  I believe in free markets,
including in the arts: if people are willing to pay to hear someone, and companies are willing
to present them, that's fine by me.  If I don't like what is on offer, as in Domingo's case I
don't, I am free not to buy a ticket.

And I will say that for a singer Domingo's age to have the stamina to prepare and to sustain a
difficult role, and to sing it with steady tone and no wobble, is remarkable.  I just don't like
the sound.  He doesn't sound like a baritone to me, just a tenor with a pushed-down range.

MDW