Subject: Re: Domingo to sing Gianni Schicchi
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 16 Jan 2018 12:18:23 -0600

Of course, this is an ideal scenario and I agree with it, but it's not always that easy a decision to make.  In the case of singers who suffer complete vocal collapse (Callas, Souliotis, Felicia Weathers, Susan Dunn, etc), the decision is easy albeit painful, for all stopped at ages where they could have been singing well.  But for those of "a certain age", the decision is not all that simple.  In the case of some (Jon Vickers, Tito Gobbi, Regine Crespin, etc), the voice may become compromised, but the artistry actually increases, thus compensating for deficiencies of the voice), and the ability to deliver a performance is not compromised.  In others, it's the simple matter of a voice ageing as the singer themselves age (examples would include Milanov, Sutherland, Caballe, Nilsson, Gedda, Pavarotti, and countless others), which is a natural thing.  Then there's the very rare example of a singer like Flagstad, who was singing magnificently (albeit with a downward shift in her range) and making recordings until a couple of years before her death.

      As far as Domingo is concerned, one CAN certainly feel that he's worn out his welcome by singing in the baritone range to extend his career.  They can also decry the fact that he simply "won't go away".  The detached and dispassionate truth is far simpler:  the man can still sing and use his voice in an effective manner, regardless of which range he's singing in.  He's received rave reviews for this new DVD of Macbeth ------ reviews which a far younger baritone would envy.  The critics overall have applauded his recent work.  It seems to be the people here that seem upset that he's continuing to sing.  Personally, I don't care.

      Critical consensus seems to feel that Domingo can still deliver a performance and hit a bull's eye.  That does not invalidate what we may feel.  But with sold-out houses and critical approbation, why should he retire?????????

I'm stating no opinions here.  Just looking at what I see.

                                                                                                    Les