Subject: Re: Pagliacci
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 13 Jan 2018 18:12:47 -0700

I only heard the intermission and Part of Pagliacci.  I thought Alagna
sounded fine.  I had to stop before Nedda's entrance.  Gagnidze sounded
very wobbly to me in the Prologue.  These big baritone roles are really
becoming difficult to cast.  I know, Quinn Kelsey is wonderful, the real
thing, and there are a few more younger ones who show great promise, but
its still a problem.  I heard none of the Cav or the rest of the Pagliacci
from Nedda's entrance on.

I did see the Opera House movie and that was fabulous.  Leontyne Price was
absolutely delicious.  She has always been in love with her own voice but
with her, its not obnoxious.  She seems to be absolutely thrilled by it
with an almost why me? attitude.  BTW, she sang a few things and still has
most of that gorgeous tone in tact.

Donald