Subject: Re: "The Opera House" Documentary - Highly Recommended!
From: Stephen Charitan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 13 Jan 2018 18:49:29 -0500

With 12 -17 inches of snow predicted and 2 inches actually delivered in the
Cleveland area, attendees for "The Opera House" were sparse.  The more
extreme the prediction, the more dramatic its contradiction - this seems to
be the rule, at least in Northeast Ohio.

Those who didn't attend missed a unique opportunity to be "Chez Leontyne."
Warm, intimate, folksy, articulate, worldly wise, still filled with
child-like wonderment, she made me feel I was sitting in a Comfy
Chair nearby mesmerized by every word she said.  When she was not center
stage the proceedings lost focus and dragged.

The film itself seemed bifurcated and compromised by two themes - each
worthy of its own time center stage - the first, a history of the MET -
from the opening of the so called "Yellow Brick Brewery"  to the New
House.  This subject cried out for a Ken Burns like multi- episode
exploration - starting with the "Academy of Music" wars through the "Save
the "Old" MET"  partisans.  The other competing subject was the truly
boundary shattering career of Leontyne Price - a talent so overwhelming
that it ultimately became a losing proposition to anyone who denied her her
place - based not on race, but on pure, self evident, accomplishment.