Subject: E tardi: Spoken or sung? Spoken
From: "Saunders, Harris S., Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 13 Jan 2018 15:13:34 -0600

The words "E tardi" (diacritics omitted) in _La traviata_ are indicated as
spoken (there are no pitches or rhythmic durations indicated in the
score), so singing these words is not an option sanctioned by the score.
The performance direction for the word "tardi" is "con voce sepolcrale."

I do not have the score of _Cavalleria rusticana_ at hand, so I will not
make any comment.

--Harris Saunders

Date:    Sat, 13 Jan 2018 13:49:58 -0500 From:    Myriam Hernandez
<[log in to unmask]> Subject: Phrases in Opera  There are certain
phrases in Opera which are more effective if they are spoken instead of
sung. Today's "A te, la mala Pascua," in Cavalleria, is one of those
phrases. In my opinion, this curse sounds much more incendiary if it is
shouted in a speaking voice. I have listened to many Santuzzas delivering
this phrase, and most of them don't make the grade to my liking. Only
Giulietta Simionato and Julia Varady, in her recording with Pavarotti,
hurl out this curse in a speaking voice, to chilling effect. It's the same
with "E tardi," in La Traviata. Spoken or sung? Which one has more effect
over an audience?

Modify your settings: