Subject: Phrases in Opera
From: Myriam Hernandez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 13 Jan 2018 13:49:58 -0500

There are certain phrases in Opera which are more effective if they are
spoken instead of sung. Today's "A te, la mala Pascua," in Cavalleria, is
one of those phrases. In my opinion, this curse sounds much more incendiary
if it is shouted in a speaking voice. I have listened to many Santuzzas
delivering this phrase, and most of them don't make the grade to my liking.
Only Giulietta Simionato and Julia Varady, in her recording with Pavarotti,
hurl out this curse in a speaking voice, to chilling effect. It's the same
with "E tardi," in La Traviata. Spoken or sung? Which one has more effect
over an audience?

Modify your settings: