Subject: Re: "Eugene Onegin" question
From: Nina Gettler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 13 Jan 2018 19:25:37 +0100

The only thing Onegin learns too late is that he wants Tatiana now that
he can't have her.
Pushkin's narrator says that Onegin didn't want the young, shy girl who
was in love, poor, and artless. He wanted the princess, the goddess, who
was forbidden fruit.

His last words in the opera show that he's still just thinking of
himself [Shame. Sadness. Oh, my wretched fate]

In refusing him, Tatiana doesn't just listen to her head instead of her
heart, she listens to her conscience, her moral compass. She admits to
Onegin that she still loves him, but she says that she will remain
faithful to her husband [but//I have been given to another and I will
ever be faithful to him].

The ending in the verse novel is a little different in that after
Tatiana and Onegin's conversation, she leaves and shortly afterward,
Gremin enters. But no words are exchanged between him and Onegin. The
narrator says "in this moment of our hero's misfortune, we leave him,
dear Reader" [roughly translated]

This would not have been very effective on the stage, so I imagine
that's why Tchaikovsky gave Onegin the last word.

Nina Gettler
Graz, Austria