Subject: "Eugene Onegin" question
From: Dennis Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 12 Jan 2018 19:04:27 -0500

    Hi, Y'all!

    Driving home this afternoon I heard much of Act III of the Met's broadcast of "Eugene Onegin" on Serius XM.  I pulled into the garage just as the late la Juntwaite was remarking that Onegin "tragically learns too late."

    Which prompts my question to all of you:  DOES HE?

    We have absolutely no evidence that, even at the end of the opera, he has "learned" anything at all.  But the opera presents 2 1/2 hours of evidence that he has spent his entire life as a thoughtless, opportunistic, cossetted, spoiled, narcissistic drifter.  I simply do not buy the notion that anything truly "tragic" has happened here.  In fact, I would compare Onegin to a very similar character in Dickens:  Steerforth, in "David Copperfield."

    I have never gotten around to reading the Pushkin verse novel, alas, and have always wanted to.

    What say you all?

    Best wishes,

    Dennis Ryan

Modify your settings: