Subject: Re: Met Orchestra at Carnegie Hall on June 5-Michael Tilson Thomas replaces Levine
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 12 Jan 2018 16:34:41 -0600

That's interesting and I wish some of them had been more inclined to
conduct operas (as I also wish Brahms and Elgar had composed an opera).

I think Mengelberg also belongs to this group.

Perhaps Ansermet too... except for conducting the premiere of Britten's THE
RAPE OF LUCRETIA, his interest in staged performances was mostly focused on
ballet. Koussevitsky also conducted the American premiere of OEDIPUS REX
(in concert), but you are very much right that his interest in conducting
operas seemed negligible.

Vesna