Subject: Tara ERRAUGHT's ebullience echos in her DC debut recital (1-9-18)
From: Alan Savada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 12 Jan 2018 12:59:28 -0500

Hi Opera-Lovers,

Sorry about the delay on this write-up, but my hubbie had a mild concussion, our son has had the flu and I have been trying to catch up from our vacation all week and am almost there!

Tuesday night my musical season began with a debut recital by a friend, Irish mezzo-soprano, Tara Erraught joined by her countryman, John O'Conor at the piano in the first recital of Vocal Arts DC's 2018 calender year. I've heard Tara sing live a couple of times as well as seen the gorgeous Rosenkavalier video and am truly enamored of her bubbly and warm personality, not to mention her amazing singing. Her recent Met successes in Hoffmann and Hansel have been well noted!

Liszt- Songs with poems by Victor Hugo

"Enfant, si j'etais roi"

"Oh! Quand je dors"

"Comment disaient-ils"

Wolf -Morike Lieder -selections

"Er ist's
"Das verlassene Magdlein"

"Nixe Binsefuss"

"Blow blow thou winter wind"

"Now sleeps the crimson petal"

"Love's philosophy"

"Die Nacht"

Rossini-Giovanna d;Arco(cantata)

Encores: Percy French's "Gornamona"

"Danny Boy"

Vocal Arts DC Director Peter Russell announced the introduction of super-titles which seemed to get enough applause. I for one, like the printed words, but all appreciate the titles so I don't miss the singers' expressions which can be so important. Vote "YEA" for me!

The impressive first Liszt was a helluva way to start off with a full-voiced singer filling the house. At the end of the set she even remarked what  an amazing theater it is to sing in (recently renovated and reopened to great acclaim) and what an honour it was indeed to sing here in DC in the Terrace Theatre. Her humility was endearing and her stage presence throughout showed that she understood the songs and relayed their essence throughout.

"Rayonnera" in the second Liszt was followed by a melting "ah" that had me for sure and the last note of the final Liszt was as if almost suspended in midair.

Ms. Erraught explained her love for the Wolf as some of her favorite songs she selected for the second set and "Begegnung" gave her the chance to show her animated stage presence. I can't ever recall hearing the last song "The Mermaid Rushfoot" but loved it as it is indeed so adorable, just like the singer.

The Quilter offered her the chance to delve into some of those warmer low mezzo notes.

In the first half, she sported a black gown with lace top, but got lots of oohs and ahhs when she returned after the break in a purple gown with sparkly silver straps and a slit bottom; a truly gorgeous design.

After hearing her Rosenkavalier, I was sure she could sing anything by Strauss and I would swoon, but for some reason the set seemed to be missing something for me. I began to think she might not be feeling totally well, and indeed I now am quite sure that was the case, despite her amazing ebullience and stage presence.

Mr. O'Conor shone her, especially in "Morgen" where his hands seemed to barely touch the keys.

I adore the 15 minute Rossini, but honestly have never heard it sung so well as by the great contralto, Ewa Podles. Ms. Erraught gave it her best and offered up some awesome vibrato and coloratura reminding me at times of Marilyn Horne. In my heart, I knew she could sing the pants off this cantata and want her to give a another try later on PLEASE!

The encores were melting and sent us all home feeling very good praying that Ms. Erraught will return to these shores sooner than later.

ALAN SAVADA of Washington, DC

Modify your settings: