Subject: Re: Met Orchestra at Carnegie Hall on June 5-Michael Tilson Thomas replaces Levine
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 12 Jan 2018 20:33:40 +0500

MTT is an interesting name to bring up here. I’ve always wondered why his operatic career was so limited.

He has been a favorite of mine since those early BSO recordings. I was thrilled when he was given his post with the San Francisco Symphony.

Aside from a Budapest studio “Tosca” in the late 80s with Marton, Carreras and Pons, not much on records. But he did a knockout semi-staged “Flying Dutchman” with the SFSO in 2003 and really impressive semi-staged productions of “Peter Grimes” and “Fidelio” (always with top class casts) but always in Davies Symphony Hall, never across the street in the opera house. The only times I heard him in the War Memorial Opera House were his early guest appearances with the SF Symphony before Davies was built.

I always wondered if he just wasn’t suited to the opera house routine with extended rehearsals and no control over the production and stage direction.

As far as anybody else being the victim of unsubstantiated rumors, I’d mention Herbert von Karajan.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPhone