Subject: Re: re Greatest Wagnerian Sopranos/Bjoner
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 10 Jan 2018 22:50:08 -0500

David Shengold wrote:

"I read a review in an old OPERA NEWS of Bjoner's initial US Isolde, in Hartford CT, opposite
Jean Cox and Mignon Dunn, circa 1974-5."

That was probably 1973.  Bjoner also sang Isolde in San Antonio in 1973, with Jean Cox as
Tristan, Nell Rankin as Brangaene, and Walter Cassel as  Kurwenal.  I was a junior in High
School and I remember the performance very well.  It was my first "Tristan" and a marvelous
introduction to the opera.  Bjoner sang well and looked beautiful on stage.

I agree with the comments about her superb "Turandot" at the Met in 1974.  I have a tape of
the broadcast.  Corelli is not in top form, but that was late for him at the Met.  Bjoner gives
Nilsson a run for her money, with a warmer voice.

MDW