Subject: Re: Greatest Wagnerian Sopranos
From: Larry T <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 10 Jan 2018 10:34:06 -0500

I saw Nilsson as Isolde (Met Debut) her three Brünnhilde, Salome, Tosca, Turandot, Amelia
and Aida, and have never been overly fond of her timbre, which I found on the coldish side (
yes, I am one of those). Furthermore, I was never really moved by her performances with
the exception of the Siegfried Brünnhilde. Yes, her Turandot was vocally exciting!  My very
favorite performance of Isolde was Mödl’s. Unlike many here, I loved Behrens, Jones, and
especially Varnay. Weirdly, Stemme has never very much impressed me,  but they say that
one has to hear her in person. I don’t know. Goerke’s Walküre Brünnhilde at LOC was
excellent.
I adore Flagstad and Leider, of course. But, Lawrence and Traubel were not chopped liver.