Subject: Re: Birgit Nilsson Great Streaming Documentary
From: Paul Ferraro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 10 Jan 2018 11:06:53 -0500

During the 1960's (my "operatic formative years") I would attend
performances with good friends & family members. There were a few in the
group who absolutely worshiped the ground upon which Ms. Nilsson trod.
Even if she undertook Violetta, these people would support & encourage
her.  For my ears & tastes, while I fully agree about her magnificent
Turandot, along with her Strauss & Wagner roles, I cringed at the
"icicles hanging on the wall" delivery in Macbeth, Aida, Tosca, Ballo.
It got to a point where my friends would have to figuratively drag me
kicking & screaming to La Nilsson's Italian roles (again, except Turandot).

As someone else reported here, the Italian soprano roles were better
served by Rysanek & Crespin, warts & all - at least there was emotion &
drama.

Running for cover....
DonPaolo