Subject: re Greatest Wagnerian Sopranos/Bjoner
From: David Shengold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 10 Jan 2018 15:48:45 +0000

Donald Kane wrote:

"...Ingrid Bjoner's Isolde. She had been chosen to sing it in the 100th anniversary production given in
Munich, and for several years was one of the world's favorite Irische Kind -everywhere but
on records or, for that matter, New York;  Tanglewood being the nearest she came."

I read a review in an old OPERA NEWS of Bjoner's initial US Isolde, in Hartford CT, opposite Jean Cox and Mignon Dunn, circa 1974-5.  That is an hour nearer than Tanglewood to NYC! Surely someone on this list saw it. The review said she was very good vocally but campy dramatically.
I grew up with Bjoner's fine Kaiserin on the Keliberth LP FRAU. The first Met broadcast of hers I hear ( they were archived at my college, probably dubious in re copyright law) was the 1974 TURANDOT-- her last Met performance--  often praised here. Maliponte is exquisite as Liu, but Corelli is sadly worn and leathery and Bjoner, though she's got the notes, has a wobble you could drive a truck through. I don't understand such different reactions to the sounds she and Corelli make, but that's horse racing.

Besides that FRAU, I can recall in her discographyhighlights of AIDA and AFRICAINE in German, a Beethoven Ninth, a live ELIJAH and Gutrune in that peculiar 1955 Norwegian GOETTERDAEMMERUNG w/Flagstad and a terrible Alberich and Hagen.

Best - David