Subject: Re: Birgit Nilsson Great Streaming Documentary
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 10 Jan 2018 13:55:42 +0000

Tom and list

I saw Nilsson in several Italian roles, Tosca not among them.
I'm pretty much in agreement with Max Paley on the "warmth"
business. I saw her first Met Aida and it struck me as a
superb performance, including very secure piani. I was very
happy (it was also the night of Biserka Cvejic's Met debut,
promising much more than was ultimately delivered). I
returned for another Nilsson Aida a season or two later, and I
could hardly believe my reaction. What had seemed so right
the first time, came off as a parody of Italian opera, and the
voice, though never defeated by music, was beyond chilly.
Comments about another singer from an earlier time skating
on the frozen Nile seemed totally appropriate. Ditto her
Amelia in Ballo. Leonie's voice was much more suited to the
Italian idiom, though the less said about her vocalism, the
better.

Nilsson's Lady Macbeth was very well sung and acted. I had
no expectations and was most pleasantly surprised. She was
able to convince me that she knew what the role was all
about, and she negotiated the many tricky vocal passages
with real conviction.

I saw Turandot at least a dozen times, and was blown away
every time. She and Corelli were thrilling beyond my ability
to describe, especially in the "Figlio del Cielo" section. "Wow"
doesn't begin to do it justice.

Bob