Subject: Re: Das Land des Lachelns (Di Stefano)
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 9 Jan 2018 17:36:32 -0500

I heard di Stefano in this operetta in Chicago in, I think, 1966.  I had
tickets for the first performance, which he cancelled, but as a pushy
teenager I demanded that they give me a ticket for the other performance,
which they did.  There were all the problems of late di Stefano, of course,
but I will never forget one place where the tenor has a long wandering
musical line simply on the vowel "ah". It was one of the most beautiful
sounds I have ever heard in the theater.

David Kubiak

Modify your settings: