Subject: Re: Birgit Nilsson Great Streaming Documentary
From: k youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 9 Jan 2018 08:24:44 -0600

And she wasn’t just limited to heavy roles. Her Amelia opposite di Stefano’s Riccardo / Gustavo in Chicago back in ’59 generated some of the greatest applause I’ve ever heard, especially after the Act II duet. Gobbi’s Renato didn’t hurt the performance either!

Kurt Youngmann

> On Jan 9, 2018, at 7:42 AM, Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Certainly, in my years of opera going, no one has come close
> to Birgit Nilsson for vocal opulence and security in the heavier
> Wagnerian roles, and in her prime, pre WWIi, there was no
> singer who commanded greater tonal splendor than Kirsten
> Flagstad.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'” -
Isaac Asimov