Subject: Re: Birgit Nilsson Great Streaming Documentary
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 9 Jan 2018 08:42:07 -0500

Certainly, in my years of opera going, no one has come close
to Birgit Nilsson for vocal opulence and security in the heavier
Wagnerian roles, and in her prime, pre WWIi, there was no
singer who commanded greater tonal splendor than Kirsten
Flagstad.

But, there was a third who, at her best, combined the
finest of those two singers' attributes, and contemporary
commentary, as well as recorded evidence, indicate a
greater sensitivity to text and dynamics than either of the
others.

Her name was Frida Leider!

Bob

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 01:44:42 -0600, Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>MANY, MANY thanks for sharing this wonderful video documentary of the great Birgit.  No
one has even even come closed to taking her place in her chosen roles.  She could hurl and
unleash a top C like a harpoon and she seemed never to tire.  Has any other soprano even
come close?????????  I think not.  For me, she and Flagstad rule as the two Wagnerian
sopranos of the Twentieth Century.