Subject: Re: Das Land des Lachelns
From: Ulrik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 8 Jan 2018 17:01:21 -0500

On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 11:34:52 -0700, Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I would love to see it produced by a major opera company.

>Donald

It was done fairly recently in Zurich (which is a "major opera company" with Piotr Beczala as
the Prince) and will be repeated in June 2018, also with Mr Beczala, Ms Kleiter, Ms Olvera
(Adalgisa to Ms Bartoli's Norma?) etc.

I loved the Gedda Schwarzkopf recording (with the high D-flat in the repeat of Dein is mein g
h). Mr Gedda is also quite good, I think, in the later recording with Ms Rothenberger where he
sings the high note as well, albeit a bit more "spinto-ish". However, I very much dislike the
Gustl on that recording, a quite whiny tenor, and much prefer Erich Kunz who, of course, has
to change the vocal line but is very charming.

Kind regards

Ulrik