Subject: Re: Das Land des Lachelns
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 8 Jan 2018 11:34:52 -0700

Das Land des Lachelns is my favorite Lehar score.  It is a superb score and
it works beautifully in French.  There is an old recording from the 60's
with Michel Dens and its titled Le Pays du Sourires.  It is utterly
charming in French and Dens does beautifully in the part originally
conceived for Richard Tauber.  The soprano lead is Bernadette Antoine.  It
is a product of its time and makes fun of no one.  I expect that the
politically correct police would have a field day with it, especially if a
non Asian was cast.  I would love to see it produced by a major opera
company.

Donald