Subject: Re: Headline Opera
From: Stephen Charitan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 5 Jan 2018 17:04:08 -0500

Olga,

I couldn't agree more...I for one love it when the List goes political.  In
fact, I have never been a "Boheme / Butterfly" opera lover.  I have always
been drawn to operas with a political / historical setting - My first live
performance was "Boris Godunov." the first recording I bought was the Sills
/ Treigle "Giulio Cesare,"  (and the Price / Vickers "Aida") and my first
live MET performance was "I Vespri Siciliani."  Of course one can simply
experience these works and allow the music to wash over you, but how much
more satisfying to watch the power plays, corruption, and empire building
that composers and their librettists captured in such a timeless way.  With
a little effort its not so hard  to make - for example - "Semiramide" - as
relevant as the evening news.  Isn't the High Priest Oroe a little like
Mueller putting together a "case" against the Queen and Assur?  How about
Filippo and the Grand Inquisitor?  In the scandal rich regime of The
National Moron and his very public mental collapse there is surely an Opera
in the making - though I would argue it be "in der italienischen
Buffo-Manier," ...

Steve