Subject: Das Land des Lachelns
From: Christopher Weimer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 5 Jan 2018 14:45:21 -0500

As we all know, there are recurrent discussions here and more generally in
the opera world about the potential difficulties directors face when staging
operas such as Butterfly and Turandot, given their depictions of Asian
cultures and characters.  On the comic side, The Mikado is also considered

This has me wondering how Das Land des Lachelns is faring in German-speaking
countries (since it's so rarely done anywhere else to start with).  It's a
wonderful score, but how is it handled onstage?  Has anyone seen a
production recently?

Christopher Weimer

Modify your settings: