Subject: Re: "Tristan" Recordings
From: Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 5 Jan 2018 12:53:24 -0500

Please correct me if I am wrong but I thought off air recordings were fine
as long as they remain for personal use.  (I know this is a little bit
apples and oranges but...)  The line is crossed, however, when the off-air
recordings are sold because then it becomes more a contested issue of who
owns the product:  the phantom airwaves or the house.  Obviously, in this
case there is no question as to who is making money in the transaction and
it isn't the artist.

Obviously, in the modern age this has somewhat more resonance than in the
good old days but do any of the modern singers object to being broadcast
live?  I assume (?) stuff is now written into the contract that allows the
house to do such things and everyone knows there are no royalties and such
involved.

Does anyone know how singers are treated when their operas are released for
sale from, for example, the Met?  I imagine the stars have a different deal
than the chorus or the musicians, but does anyone have the insider's
knowledge of how this works in a legit effort?

I have talked with some singers who despair of recordings because so few
people actually spend $$ on physical recordings (or even downloading them)
and because it is so easy anymore to simply take the work product from
someone and share it across the internet.  YouTube is full of examples.  On
the one hand, it certainly enriches us and provides an outlet for developing
singers.  On the other hand ....

I have no pony in this race.  I have off-air recordings that I treasure and
I have had friends send me copies of performances which are more private (as
in transferred from actual DVDs).  I do not sell or share but that's a
personal decision and each one of us needs to find the position on this that
is right for us.