Subject: Re: "Tristan" Recordings
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 5 Jan 2018 17:34:53 +0000

It has nothing to do with stature. It is the law and it applies equally
to all who wish to invoke it. There have been a number of others, Jessye
Norman comes to mind immediately, who had no particular gripe
with the Met but blocked her performances as a matter of principle,
or so she said, and I have no reason to disbelieve her.

Ed Rosen was fond of saying that it was ok with such famous singers
as Renata Tebaldi, and, and...... so there was no problem with releasing
them. The major problem with that premise is that Tebaldi, and, and...
didn't own the rights. The Met and other theaters did, AND Tebaldi et
al were not the only singers on any of those performances.

Do I own any? Absolutely! My musical life would be much the poorer
without them, but the law is what it is.

Bob