Subject: Re: Is the Callas Tosca recording the "best" opera recording ever made?
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 3 Jan 2018 15:06:17 -0500

Patrick,
I assume you did hear Olivero and were distressed by the sound. I saw her
twice as Tosca in the 70's, once with Pavarotti.  I don't know what your
experience of her was, but for me at the time it was hard to judge, because
a kind of Judy Garland cult surrounded her return to the stage.  What I
would say is that her impersonation of the part was so fascinating, and so
clearly derived from an earlier age, that it made you forget what she
sounded like.  I think several of the divas in Rasponi's book say something
similar.

David Kubiak

On Tue, 2 Jan 2018 16:46:27 -0600, Ombrarecds <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Olivero, a more beautiful voice? A bizarre voice. A limited voice. A unique
voice. Beautiful? Hardly. I love her but never have used the word
"beautiful" in the same sentence with her name. Have you ever heard her in
person?