Subject: Re: Is the Callas Tosca recording the "best" opera recording ever made?
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 3 Jan 2018 11:09:22 -0500

Good for you: I don't think Mr. Camner, in his polyglot list of personal
favorites, has applied this level of understanding as to what a perfect
recording entails.  The most dubious item on his list is perhaps the
"1938 EMI" TOSCA.  It is easy to imagine how an Italian baritone
with  the vocal heft and histrionic temperament of Gino Bechi might
have been a memorable Scarpia, but if he ever recorded even an excerpt,
I'm not aware of it.  Armando Borgioli, who was the Scarpia, with Gigli and
Caniglia, made a perfectly adequate impression on me when I listened,
side by shellac side, to my very first Italian opera, long, log ago..

Come to think of it, until the lamentable Bondy version came along, I don't
think I have ever NOT enjoyed a performance of this Puccni masterpiece:
the Carmen Melis, with an awesome Apollo Granforte , Price, Tebaldi,
Milanov, Kirsten, Crespin, Nilsson, Olivero , as well as the "perfect"
Callas, and not to forget Di Stefano, Corelli, and the peerless Colzani,
have all left indelible memories, in and out of the theater.

Incicidentally, I have never agreed with the elevated status many others
grant to Furtwangler's studio TRISTAN; no performance of that work can
approach perfection IMO, unless the Tristan is as satisfying as the Isolde.

dtmk