Subject: How to settle the score regarding Met Tosca Productions
From: Titu Rel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 3 Jan 2018 09:39:11 -0500

Enough of this Trump bashing! Even if polls are right and only 38% or so
support him, that means 380 of us on Opera-L. But we are supposed to be a
more intelligent group, so the % is probably much higher.

David H Spence wrote:

What the  Met needs, moreover what the world needs is a Tosca that would
make the Bondy
production look too conservative by comparison.  Why for instance did Peter
Gelb and the Met
feel they needed to further kitsch up a few scenes in it, with particularly
in mind the opening
of Act Two?   One has to think too of the neo-fascist government in
Washington DC that has
orange hair.  Perhaps there ought, by the same token, to be prostitutes on
stage for the first
30 minutes of Act Two.

I would not stop at our getting a David Alden production, except David, one
of the two 'evil
twins' that he is and I love him for it, were to come up with an idea
comparable to the
Macbeth he offered both Houston Grand Opera and Chicago a few years back.
So, let us have
it be David Alden for sure, should Peter Konwitschny not be available - or
we could have both
of them compete with each other as to who can come up with the best radical
re-think of the
'du grand guignol' shabby little shocker, as it always has been AND ALWAYS
to bore people to death.

David H Spence

Modify your settings: