Subject: How to settle the score regarding Met Tosca productions
From: David H Spence <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 3 Jan 2018 01:08:24 -0500

The argument over whether the Luc Bondy production was too off-base, radical or not has
grown really too silly, with in its place a stodgy new production by David McVicar, though I
haven't seen much of it yet.

What the  Met needs, moreover what the world needs is a Tosca that would make the Bondy
production look too conservative by comparison.  Why for instance did Peter Gelb and the Met
feel they needed to further kitsch up a few scenes in it, with particularly in mind the opening
of Act Two?   One has to think too of the neo-fascist government in Washington DC that has
orange hair.  Perhaps there ought, by the same token, to be prostitutes on stage for the first
30 minutes of Act Two.

I would not stop at our getting a David Alden production, except David, one of the two 'evil
twins' that he is and I love him for it, were to come up with an idea comparable to the
Macbeth he offered both Houston Grand Opera and Chicago a few years back.  So, let us have
it be David Alden for sure, should Peter Konwitschny not be available - or we could have both
of them compete with each other as to who can come up with the best radical re-think of the
'du grand guignol' shabby little shocker, as it always has been AND ALWAYS SHOULD BE - not
to bore people to death.

David H Spence