Subject: Re: when any career ends in disgrace
From: Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 1 Jan 2018 12:38:21 -0500

Used to be that guilty people were appropriately punished, but it seems to
me in the last decade or so a double standard has been set which allows
certain people to commit crimes and not have any sort of penalty lodged
against them.  I think we can all remember news stories of people who, by
objective standards, were guilty and yet for societal, political, or
financial reasons were never required to face punishment.  Oh, a few
egregious folks serve as exceptions and examples but arguably, if you are a
'special' person (for any number of reasons), justice may not be served when
you are caught.  Justice has a peculiar way, at present, of finding
loopholes for a heck of lot of illegal / immoral activities.  I do believe
that is one of the growing inequalities in our nation.

As for Levine, I understand music is an emotional component in a person's
life and perhaps that emotional connection allows an individual to establish
separate sets of standards for Levine's (and others) conduct.  I'm not one
of them but I do understand how personal pleasure can cause someone to
ignore the damage done to others by Levine.  After all, if I derive pleasure
from something, and I am a good person, then how can it possible be wrong?

I think, perhaps, we would all be surprised by a lot of what goes on within
the music (or entertainment) business that never makes it to press but is
sordid and untidy and immoral and crass.  And, to disagree with Les, I don't
think management is held responsible, even when they are clearly involved
with, at minimum, cover-up.  The Met Board and Met Management is a perfect
example:  if the stories are correct and these folks have been operating
behinds the scenes to clean up after Levine and silence the victims for
decades, and Gelb knew about the latest dust-up for a year and sat on it
hoping it would shrivel up and blow away, should they be punished?  Instead,
they will close around each other and use their considerable political and
financial clout to remain 'clean.'  You getter believe the lawyers have
already figured how to play the get out of jail card for them.

Sadly, I enter 2018 completed jaded and disillusioned.

Kiwi