Subject: Vocal Record Collectors Society presentation on Jan. 12
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Mon, 1 Jan 2018 20:38:15 -0500

The Vocal Record Collectors' Society presents

A MATTER OF STYLE by Cary Frumess

Friday, January 12, 2018 - 7:45 PM
Christ Church, northwest corner of Park Avenue and 60th Street (in Manhattan,
NYC), Third Floor meeting room

Presenter's summary:

In the world of singing, the word style is an elusive term, one that defies
definition. For some, it has to do with what they believe is the right way to
perform a certain work. For others, it has more to do with a certain ineffable,
almost magical quality in a performance. For most of us, perhaps it is best to
simply state, paraphrasing Justice Stewart, I know it when I hear it. Some
styles of singing have been preserved, some have been lost, while others have
been revived. And there exist styles of singing that may be said to be simply
outmoded or, put another way, that have gone out of style.

For my presentation in January, I will look at style from a number of different
angles. The term may refer to a nationality (e.g., the French style), an era
(Baroque), a genre (verismo), a region (Neapolitan or Viennese), or even a
specific composer (such as Verdian style). And while it may connote
authenticity, style may conversely imply individuality, as in singers who have
their own style. Why, we even speak of certain performers as simply having
style.

In opera, there are so-called creators records (Otello or Queen of Spades,
anyone?) that offer fascinating glimpses into what may have been the composers
original conception. And in the realm of musical theater, we have examples of
recordings by the songwriters themselves, showing us how these songs should go.

While there will not be time to survey all of these, I intend to cast a wide net
over a variety ofwell, styles. If you dont like what youre hearing, stick
around. Theres likely to be something completely different around the bend. I
can guarantee this much: there will be at least one person in the room that
evening who will enjoy absolutely every selection that is played.

Recordings heard at the VRCS program of Dec. 15, 2017:

* NICOLA MOSCONA/A. TOSCANINI: NORMA: -OPENING & ITE SUL COLLE (12/2/1945))
* GALLIANO MASINI: AIDA: - CELESTE AIDA (CETRA, JULY 14, 1941)
* GAL. MASINI: ADRIANA LECOUVREUR: - LA DOLCISSIMA EFFIGIE (CETRA, MAY, 1941)
* ROSALIA G. FEINBERG GORSKAYA: RIGOLETTO: -CARO NOME (ARTISTOTIPIA, C.1920)
* ROSALIA G. FEINBERG GORSKAYA: LAKME: - BELL SONG (ARISTOTIPIA, C. 1920)
* IVAN ERSHOV: - LES HUGUENOTS: - PLUS BLANCHE (G.&T., 1903)
* FRANCO CORELLI/B. GIAOTTI: AIDA; - CELESTE AIDA (PHILADELPHIA, 2/20/1968)
* FRANCO BONISOLLI/ANGELES GULIN: ANDREA CHENIER LOVE DUET (BILBAO, 9/1/81)
* LICIA ALBANESE/ENRICO DI GIUSEPPE: FEDORA: - DEATH SCENE (ST. LOUIS, 4/19/1961)
* EDMOND CLEMENT/MARCEL JOURNET: ROBERT LE DIABLE: -DUET(VICTOR, 1/18/1912)
* LEO SLEZAK: UNGEDULD (SCHUBERT) (GRAMMOPHON, 1928)
* ALFREDO KRAUS/UNIDENTIFIED SOPRANO: LUCIA: -VERRANO A TE (PLACE? DATE?)
* ENRICO CARUSO: LA FORZA DEL DESTINO:-O TU CHE IN SENO(VICTOR, NOV. 6, 1909)
* BILLY MURRAY: MY COUSIN CARUS (EDWARDS) (VICTOR, MAY 13, 1909)
* SELMA KURZ: DER VOGEL IM WALDE (TAUBERT) (G.&T., 1907)
* RODRICK DIXON: LE FILLE DU REGIMENT: - AH! MES AMIS (RCA VICTOR, C. 2001)

--
posted by

  Listowner: OPERA-L ; SMT-ANNOUNCE ; EXLIBRIS-L ; SoundForge-users