Subject: Re: Met “Tosca” Last Night
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 1 Jan 2018 17:49:42 -0500

Oops, not that this is terribly relevant but since this question was raised
again regarding Slavic names: for three-syllable names, the stress is
generally on the the first-syllable as in Yoncheva but there are quite a
few names with the second syllable accented as in Danilo in THE MERRY
WIDOW. (There are no particular rules about it, I'm afraid.) It's a
German-language opera but I assume that the idea is to pronounce his name
authentically according to this character's ethnicity.

Best, Vesna