Subject: Re: Met “Tosca” Last Night
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 1 Jan 2018 17:32:08 -0500

There are 2-3 threads about last night's TOSCA so I'll follow up on this
discussion with my take on the issues raised in other threads as well.

I listened to the entire performance and thought that, overall, this was
not a bad night. Of course, I can't comment on the production, but there
are some stunning photos that surely pique my interest.

Yoncheva: I heard her Desdemona live and it was the most gorgeous sound
that filled the entire Met house. It is indeed a lyric voice but not small
by any means. I don't know if Tosca suits her temperamentally but I thought
she delivered a fine performance in general. On occasion her voice sounded
forced but, after reading Max Paley's thoughtful post, I now recognize that
it's very likely because her interpretation didn't match her vocal
predispositions. And I do think she has Tosca vocal material, as a lyric
soprano, but should approach it differently along the lines that Max wrote
about.

Ron, in Slavic languages, generally a three-sytllable last name is accented
on the first syllable as in Yoncheva. For the longer last names, usually
the accent is on the second syllable as in Danilovich (not just my last
name but that of the character in the MERRY WIDOW - it's a Slavic
character). There are variations, of course... as in all other languages.

Moving to the male roles, Grigolo's performance was fine in the first part
and his interpretation of "Recodnita armonia" didn't show any
exaggerations. But then, as if something stirred him up into a divo
stratosphere, he showed all kinds of tasteless mannerisms in the second
part and I am not surprised that Alain and Idia were appalled at his "E
lucevan le stele." Despite his Italianite sound, I think that French roles
suit him best, perhaps they have a more restraining effect on his apparent
tendencies for exaggerated theatrics. It  seems that jitters got to Lucic
at first, but then he took off and it was an OK performance. I certainly
heard much worse as I also heard way better too.

I totally agree with Jon that, if anyone should get a negative criticism,
it would be the conducting. It was pedestrian at best and often out of sync
with singers. That said, this cast and the conductor had very limited time
to rehearse and I expect that everyone's performance can only get better
from now on. I look forward to the future broadcasts.

Vesna