Subject: Re: Met “Tosca” Last Night
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 1 Jan 2018 17:16:41 -0500

I would say that Yoncheva was the highlight of the evening. I didn't feel she was as
dramatically inert as some, like Jorden, have said - but yes, she could do more.

I do think that Grigolo was exciting to hear, but he was pushing a lot. Lots of can belto.
As if he felt the need to prove he could do the role. And lots of times that he seemed to
need more breath before starting a phrase - often he was just a bit late with musical
entrances. I don't know if he did his own screaming during the torture scene, but I have
to give credit to whoever did the last one - a blood-curdling yell that didn't have a whiff of
"opera voice" in it at all. (We've all heard those fake screams that sound more like the
tenor is doing some high vocalise, lol.)

I think the biggest musical problem of the evening was coordination. Villaume has his
work cut out for him. It was at times, a very sloppy performance. It sounded at one
moment like the Te Deum was about to fall off the tracks altogether. In other places he
didn't seem to be listening to the singers' needs in terms of phrasing - pushing ahead
when they needed more space, pulling back when it seemed they wanted to move ahead.

It WAS nice to hear the 2 bars that are almost always cut after "Vissi d'arte." The devil's
bargain was that those bars were retained, but we lost the minor-to-major transition after
"E lucevan." Which is funny, because we got the exact same version of the score in
Boston a few months ago. (The Boston production had its issues, but to be honest the
performance I saw was musically miles better than what I heard last night. Though it's
fun to think that we here in the "provinces," can indeed do something better than in the
county's most celebrated city opera company, it also doesn't seem quite right, lol.)

At least, from what I understand, Tosca did indeed jump off the parapet at the end. It's
nice to have that back where it belongs. Promise you'll never go away again...;-)

On Mon, 1 Jan 2018 16:35:48 -0500, Idia Legray <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I too was on my way home from a NY Eve dinner and missed the "E
>lucevan..." but I didn't really need to (and now after your post am kinda
>glad I didn't) but we did get to hear enough of the two of them planning
>how he was going to fall down when shot, and frankly I was painfully aware
>of two darling singers, both of whom I actually like, who were out of their
>normal depth.  I felt so bad about it because I find Grigolo a singer who
>makes his roles exciting and I find that's worth a lot.
>At the same time, I worry for him that he is going to do a "Villazon" and
>burn himself out.
>I give the two of them credit for attempting to step into roles that are not
>normally a part of their fach because the 2 original singers decided to take
>a walk.
>I had hoped to cut them some slack but I doubt they will undertake these
>roles again.
>I even thought the orchestra somehow sounded different from what I am
>used to hearing -- a lack of drama.  Maybe it was the airwaves.
>Look, at least they tried and got through it.
>OPERA-L on Facebook:
>Modify your settings:

Modify your settings: