Subject: Re: Met “Tosca” Last Night
From: Ron Magnuson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 1 Jan 2018 16:59:19 -0500

> On Jan 1, 2018, at 3:38 PM, Alain Letort <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Did anyone else on the List hear this broadcast ?  Was the rest of the
> performance just as bad ?  Was anyone else shocked by this appalling E
> lucevan ?

I only heard the last act, including that pitiful "E lucevan.  I struck me as hideously over sung in the same way he often over acts. He made a maudlin, histrionic display of emotion better expressed through sincere, intelligent singing.
As for Sonia Yoncheva, (where does the accent fall on her last name? Last night she accented Yon) I did not hear the strain or uncontrolled vibrato.  Could those of you who heard subpar singing describe it in more detail? (I listened on Sirius).  Where was she singing so poorly and in what manner was the singing not up to the role or to your expectations?

Happy New Year, Ron Magnuson