Subject: Re: Tosca vs Ernani. 2018 vs 1965
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 1 Jan 2018 16:49:34 -0500

I heard the 'Ernani' as well, and two things stood out for me (I'll just
assume Corelli was some king of miracle and not mention him).  First, Elvira
was an absolutely perfect role for Price, even more so than Aida, since it's
not so heavily orchestrated.  She was always best at launching vocal lines
that headed up, and the tessitura of Elvira must be among the highest of any
of the Verdi soprano parts.  And we were still in her pre-scooping and other
distortions period.  it was just really very great singing on all counts.

The other, slightly curious thing, concerned Siepi.  I thought to myself if
I had to say what singer he most resembled it might well be Bing Crosby.
What has happened in opera to the the concept that singing should be a
natural thing -- you open your mouth and out comes the tone, in Siepi's case
a very beautiful but still utterly natural tone.  So much singing I hear
today is based on strenuous and artificial techniques that first, deprive
the singer of a unique sound (can you really tell one Bill Schuman tenor
from the other?), and second, techniques that do not last and find the
singer in trouble when they should be entering their primes.

If you want to know why some people are not happy with the state of operatic
singing today, just listen to that wonderful 'Ernani'.

David Kubiak

________