Subject: Re: Met “Tosca” Last Night
From: Idia Legray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 1 Jan 2018 16:35:48 -0500

I too was on my way home from a NY Eve dinner and missed the "E
lucevan..." but I didn't really need to (and now after your post am kinda
glad I didn't) but we did get to hear enough of the two of them planning
how he was going to fall down when shot, and frankly I was painfully aware
of two darling singers, both of whom I actually like, who were out of their
normal depth.  I felt so bad about it because I find Grigolo a singer who
makes his roles exciting and I find that's worth a lot.
At the same time, I worry for him that he is going to do a "Villazon" and
burn himself out.
I give the two of them credit for attempting to step into roles that are not
normally a part of their fach because the 2 original singers decided to take
a walk.
I had hoped to cut them some slack but I doubt they will undertake these
roles again.
I even thought the orchestra somehow sounded different from what I am
used to hearing -- a lack of drama.  Maybe it was the airwaves.
Look, at least they tried and got through it.

Modify your settings: