Subject: Re: James Levine [Comment]
From: Marc Shepherd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 1 Jan 2018 10:02:02 -0500

On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 12:09 AM, Genevieve Castle Room <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Are we really as a country going to ONLY hold people accountable for their
> sexual misbehavior? What about people who humiliate others or berate them;
> what about sadists who find perfectly legal ways to traumatize people?

This is the wrong question. All of the recent accusations against Levine
involved “legal ways to traumatize people.” Yes, there have always been
*rumors* of clearly illegal activity with under-age boys, but all of the
named and confirmed accusers encountered Levine when they were of legal
age. In fact, of all the famous people who have lost their jobs in this
post-Weinstein world, practically all did so while remaining (technically)
within the law.

And no, we aren’t *only* holding people accountable for their sexual
misbehavior. If Levine had been an embezzler, the Met would’ve terminated
him for *that*, too. It just so happens that *stealing* is a bright line
that most people don’t cross, whereas a lot of people in power seem to have
rationalized the idea that sexual harassment was okay.

--
Marc Shepherd
New York, NY