Subject: Copyright (was Re: [OPERA-L] "Tristan" Recordings)
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Sun, 7 Jan 2018 21:27:10 -0500

Regarding the article concerning copyright law in the Wall Street Journal:

On Sun, 7 Jan 2018, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> It's more about expansion, and there are other recent articles about
> revision for new media. I haven't seen anything lately about extension,
> which shouldn't be necessary, though it's sure to come up whenever the
> Mickey Mouse/Rhapsody in Blue extension starts to run out.

Actually it comes up very soon:  On January 1, 2019, materials published in 1923
will finally go into the public domain - the first time in 20 years that this
has happened in the U.S. (due to the Sonny Bono extension which has now completed).
The lobbying for that extension took years.  I strongly doubt that Congress will
dare extend it again as there's been no groundswell of lobbying for it.

  Listowner: OPERA-L ; SMT-ANNOUNCE ; EXLIBRIS-L ; SoundForge-users