Subject: Re: Toscanini BOHEME recording
From: Willliam Heron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 7 Jan 2018 17:39:04 -0500

Bob,

Andrew Rose lives in France, not Canada.  On his website, one can listen to
significant samples of the recordings he offers - in the case of the
Toscanini Boheme, about 14 minutes which gives you a good idea of the
quality.  And the price for this Boheme is $10.47 for the FLAC files (CD
quality) and $8.15 for MP3 (320 kbps) - a significant saving over the Archiv
Music price of $25.

And... the processes he uses are significantly more that "sweetening".
Among the most impressive is Capstan, a German technology innovation, which
digitally corrects wow and flutter issues as well as pitch drift.
Recordings which had a "watery" quality become rock-solid.  Many collectors
have come forward with previously-unknown recordings because they believe he
is capable of reviving them as no one else.

Browsing his website can become quite addicting.  Try the Toscanini Ballo or
the Furtwangler Ring from La Scala or Sutherland's first Lucia broadcast
from the Met.

In short, I think you sell Andrew Rose's work short... but to each his own.

Bill