Subject: Re: Toscanini BOHEME recording
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Sun, 7 Jan 2018 16:12:25 -0500

> There's a wonderful restoration of this recording, available from Pristine
Classical

I've not heard many of Andrew Rose's "restorations." But one should never think
that he's working with original materials.  He merely takes commercially
available recordings (now public domain in Canada where he lives) and sweetens
the sound to make it palatable to contemporary taste.  In some cases he gets
copies (usually on tape, meaning at least one generation removed from the
original) of original broadcasts, sweetens and then releases them.

I would stick with the original RCA/BMG now Sony releases.
$25 on Arkivmusic.com.

  Listowner: OPERA-L ; SMT-ANNOUNCE ; EXLIBRIS-L ; SoundForge-users