Subject: Met “Tosca” Last Night
From: Alain Letort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 1 Jan 2018 15:38:07 -0500

Dear Listers,

First, I wish a very happy, healthy and prosperous New Year to all the Listers !

I can’t speak to the entire broadcast of last night’s “Tosca” from the Met,
because most of my evening was spent getting ready for a New Year’s Eve
dinner at a restaurant with friends, and then of course participating in
said sinner, so I was able to hear only a little bit of “Tosca” in the car
on the way to the restaurant.

That little bit, however, was absolutely horrible.  It was Vittorio
Grigolo’s rendition of “E lucevan le stelle,” and I swear I have never heard
anybody massacre that aria like Grigolo did last night.  He had a terrible,
annoying vibrato, and kept singing with a very old-fashioned tremolo such as
one might have heard at the Teatro Municipale di Piacenza or some such
third-rate Italian house in the 1920s or 1930s.

It sounded like this :

“Svanì per sempre il soh-woh-woh-gno mio d'amoh-woh-woh-woh-re.
L'ora è fuggita, e muoio-woh-woh-woh disperatoh-woh-woh-woh!”

I was appalled.  I was all the more surprised as I have seen this singer at
the met a number of times, most lately in “Roméo et Juliette,” and enjoyed
those performances.  I was especially shocked when the audience went
absolutely nuts after the aria, cheering and bravo-ing like there was no
tomorrow.  Of course it is possible that New Years’s Eve performances at the
Met are filled with tourists rather than opera habitués and cognoscenti.

My partner Lynne Price, who was with me in the car, also found this
tasteless rendition horrible.  As soon as the aria and subsequent cheering
were over, we switched off the car radio in disgust.

Did anyone else on the List hear this broadcast ?  Was the rest of the
performance just as bad ?  Was anyone else shocked by this appalling “E
lucevan” ?

Cheers and all the best,

Alain

Alain Letort